Director of Philanthropy
iDE Canada works with businesses and entrepreneurs to create lasting solutions to poverty across 10 countries in Africa, Asia and Central America. This is an exciting time for the organization, as we have just passed the $1M mark in annual donations from individuals and private foundations.
The opportunity is to build on this momentum to take iDE to the next level in terms of financial resources and cultivating the next generation of “champions”, who will introduce their friends and networks to iDE.
As Director of Philanthropy, you connect current and potential supporters to exciting projects that create new income and opportunity in some of the poorest parts of the world.
As the successful candidate, you love listening to people’s stories, understanding why they give, and identifying opportunities to see their donations have a meaningful and lasting impact. You have an existing network of contacts, but also connect easily with new people, with warmth and genuine interest.
You have a real passion for iDE’s business approach to poverty. Ideally, you bring your own experiences in developing countries. Regardless, we will give you the opportunity to travel, so you can share stories of people and results from personal experience. In some cases, you will be touring with small groups of donors, giving them an experience that deepens their understanding of and commitment to the people and the work.
Your experience with fundraising and donor engagement gives you the wisdom and insight to know what strategies are most effective in bringing new donors to iDE, deepening the commitment and connection of existing donors, and keeping donors engaged through regular communications and touch points.
You enjoy working with a small, motivated team of six. While you will enjoy good coffee, lots of natural light and interactions with colleagues in the office, you will also spend a good amount of time working from the seat of your car, as personal, face-to-face engagement is important to our small but generous network of supporters.
Most of all, you relish the challenge of growing iDE’s impact around the world.
Describe why this is you in a cover letter, along with your resumé, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 22, 2019.
Director of Philanthropy
Status: Full Time
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Communications Coordinator, Database & Office Administrator, occasionally part-time workers, volunteers
Relationships: Works closely with other employees, donors, volunteers, suppliers/vendors and board members
The work requires flexibility and may involve evening and/or weekend work, and some national and international travel.
Work weeks are based on 37.5 hours per week.
Salary range: $70,000 – $90,000
The Director of Philanthropy works closely with the Chief Executive Officer, to lead iDE Canada in efforts to engage Canadians with the work of iDE through philanthropy. This includes creating and executing a strategy that engages, serves and inspires donors.
This position is responsible for creating a meaningful, relational and efficient donor experience. Donors should say:
· Donating is easy.
· I receive great, timely service.
· I feel that my donations are appreciated
· I get relevant information about how iDE is using my donations.
· I am inspired to give more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Work closely with CEO to establish private funding priorities and goals
· Develop and execute on a strategy to deepen and expand iDE Canada’s network of supporters
· Advise on trends in the philanthropic world which affect organizational priorities
· Build and manage an effective team to achieve annual and longer-term fundraising goals and objectives
Engagement & Communications
· Develop a comprehensive communication plan to keep donors informed in a way that is meaningful to them
· Plan and execute fundraising events
· Plan and execute donor appreciation and stewardship events
· Plan and execute in-country donor tours
· Develop giving programs for varying levels of donation amounts (i.e., monthly donations, direct mail, gifts of significance, bequests)
· Work with programs to celebrate project milestones with donors
· Oversee the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for fundraising and donor information
· Oversee the design and content of iDE Canada website and updates
· Speak on behalf of the organization at events and (occasionally) media
· Media relations
· Coordinate with iDE HQ communications team to share content and ensure brand alignment
· Maintain an effective donor database
· Work with finance staff to ensure receiving, accounting and receipting processes effectively serve fundraising priorities and goals
· Provide timely customer service to donors and prospective donors
· Ensure proper receipting and response to donations in an accurate and timely fashion
· Ensure full compliance with Donor’s Bill of Rights and CRA regulations