We're hiring! Finance Director
Are you our new Finance Director?
iDE Canada is looking for a financial all-rounder to lead the development and day-to-day management of our accounting systems. Working for an organization that creates business solutions to poverty, you have the opportunity to support initiatives that are making a real and lasting difference for marginalized people in developing countries.
As part of a small management team in the Canadian office, you will develop and implement improvements to our accounting systems. You will also advise and backstop the development and operation of financial information systems for overseas initiatives, coordinating with in-country teams and iDE’s global finance team.
This job is not for everyone. You will need the strategic and analytical skills to improve our accounting systems and inform management decisions with sound analysis, along with the patience and attention to detail to make entries, create reports and keep the system running.
iDE Canada creates income and livelihood opportunities in developing countries around the world. We invest in local entrepreneurship, building businesses with a focus on agriculture and sanitation. In agriculture, we help farmers increase their production so they can generate more income and increase their food security. In sanitation, we help businesses produce affordable and desirable products
such as toilets and water filters. Consumers of these products benefit from improved health and fewer days away from work.
If your skills and interests span this range of responsibilities, and you have a passion for iDE’s social mission, let us know by sending your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews begin January 17.
Status: Full Time, Permanent Position
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: No direct reports
Relationships: Works closely with other employees, iDE HQ finance staff, iDE country directors and finance staff, volunteers and consultants
The Finance Director is responsible for the integrity and efficiency of iDE Canada’s financial systems. The Finance Director leads on system improvement and day-to-day financial management and reporting, including timely and accurate reporting and analysis of organizational and project finances.
This position has primary responsibility for all aspects of iDE Canada’s financial management:
• developing and implementing improvements to existing financial systems
• preparation of financial reports and analysis for board, management and project reporting
• cash management
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with CEO to identify system priorities and goals
• Implement improvements to workflows and software configuration
• Work with project and subsidiary teams to implement effective and efficient financial management systems
• Work with staff to ensure that all systems are understood, well-documented and followed
• Work with fundraising team to integrate donor data and financial systems
Preparation of Financial Reports and Analysis
• Work with the CEO to prepare financial reports for the iDE Canada board
• Prepare regular reports and updates for management team: program, fundraising and
• Prepare custom reports, including scenario modeling, cash flow projections and budget
projections for analysis and planning
• Prepare periodic project financial reports using donor templates
• Prepare all reports and supporting materials for organizational and project audits
• Work with the CEO and Finance Committee to develop and implement foreign currency management strategies
• Ensure timely and prudent processing of all transactions
• Assess, recommend and implement fund management strategies to maximize returns and minimize risk
• Process invoices and project reporting in a timely and accurate fashion
• Ensure that all transaction data are entered accurately and with full coding
• Maintain and upgrade skills with core software
• Minimum 5 years’ experience managing financial data;
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills;
• Attention to detail;
• Demonstrated experience monitoring and managing financial performance;
• Understanding of institutional donor requirements;
• Strong skills with Excel and mainstream financial accounting software;
• Excellent communication skills and ability to coordinate efforts across culture, language
• Empathy for teams working in resource-limited environments;
• Overseas experience preferred; Fluency in English required; proficiency in French and/or
• Willing and able to travel occasionally in areas with minimal infrastructure or services (will
have a lot more fun if this is seen as a perk)
• Holds CPA or on CPA track